Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Falling in Love Again

The moment we laid eyes on our venue, we knew it was the place.  And then, we took our eyes, hopped into the car, and went back to our everyday lives.  Time passed, and instead of thinking about how wonderful our reception venue was, I was thinking about how much of a splurge it would be.  And then I thought about how far it was from our hometown.  Wouldn't it be great to have our friends visit our hometown?  Hang out at the same bars we've hung out in?  Eat in some of our favorite places?  

And, then I thought, "what about West Point?  It's a meaningful place for him.  And it's not that far from our home town.  What if we held our wedding there?"

So I sent out a couple emails. Then I sent out some more.  I spent days and days sitting in front of the computer screen, looking for locations that were off the beaten path.  And I found a few contenders.  My head was spinning by this point, and I came clean to the Bear.  He reminded me to take a breath, and he told me no.  He said he loved Saltwater Farm, and he said that I loved Saltwater Farm--relax.  

And a few (long) weeks later, we hopped back into the car and took a drive to Stonington, Connecticut to take a look around. 
Here is the church I wrote about earlier.  It's as "classic New England" as it gets. 
 

 


Here it is from another angle. The trees made it really hard to get a good shot of the whole thing.




This is the downtown/shopping district of the town.  






And look at these gorgeous, historic homes!












I loved the beautiful architectural details, especially the entryways. 




Here's what looks to be a yummy restaurant that sits right on the water.








We ventured past the restaurant and headed through the marina. 






And we found a little path, and the Bear led the way.  






We walked down the street, hand in hand, enjoying the day and taking in the beauty and charm of Stonington.  And when we were satisfied that we'd found the right place to share with our family and friends, we got in the car a drove to the vineyard to catch another glimpse.


Look, new sign! 




And there it is.  We didn't drive down the (newly paved) road, because from the looks of it, someone was setting up for their wedding.  So we kept our distance, and stayed out of their way. 






And when all was said and done, we were happy and hungry.  Thankfully we found a roadside stand that is steps away from the hotel.  What kind of people would we be if we didn't taste the food for our guests? 




Thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment