Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bye Bye Bridal March


That right there is what I submitted as part of my final project in my first photography class--go ahead and laugh.  I thought I was being really deep and introspective by taking a picture of my violin.  Only, that's not my violin.  My violin was taken, err stolen, after my last high school concert.  That's right folks, back in high school, I was an orchestra geek.  


Actually, I loved playing in the orchestra.  It was by far my favorite class through school.  I met a lot of really cool people that way, people like BM Yazzi Fresh, and *cough* my future husband.  Aww...

So it makes perfect sense that the one thing I really wanted, that I know we don't necessarily need is a string quartet for our ceremony.  And after thirty minutes of searching the internet, I found The Devonshire Players.


After a really great phone call with Lakshmi, TDP's founder, I decided that yes, we're definitely going this route.  Initially I wanted a duet with violin and cello to cut down on costs but I think we're going to go for the quartet.  Because if you go with two instruments, your musical selection can be a little limited and what's the fun of that?  TDP already has a repertoire of contemporary music, AND they're open to playing just about anything as long as they can find the sheet music! 

And that, dear friends, puts a huge smile on my face because it means we can have songs like this:



"Hallelujah" - Leonard Cohen. I know he wants this song included in our wedding somehow, and this is just gorgeous. 



"In My Life" - Beatles. So sweet that it kinda hurts, no?



"Wonderful Tonight" - Eric Clapton.  Reminds me of school dances in the best way. 



"Sweet Child O'Mine" - Guns N Roses. Please, please, please let this be our recessional song.  Please...


And there you have it.  The easiest decision I had to make so far.  It's still a bit early to decide on the specific songs we'll have played in our ceremony but if I get my way, these songs will make an appearance.  I love the mix of sentimental love songs and kick ass cheesy rock.


What are you doing for ceremony music?  Are you going the route of traditional music, or non traditional music?

No comments:

Post a Comment