Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Here is the Church



Aww...so flippin' cute!  Less cute now that I'm waiting on a brochure from the church I'd like to be married in (yes, I, not WE).  Ever heard that rhyme before?  I remember it well.  And I'm not sure it's entirely accurate.  Maybe it should go something like this--

Here is the church, here is the steeple,
Stretch your wee budget, to see all your people.

Close the door, please, walk away,
Stop being crazy, it's only ONE day.

If there is one thing I want in this "I-want-a-polooza" of wedding planning, it's to get married in a small white church.  It's my number one.  Go figure.  It's more important than flowers.  It's more important than the dress.  And yes, it's more important than the food (sorry, I swear the food will be awesome, but I'm trying to make a point here).  It may have something to do with my childhood.  I grew up attending the most beautiful church in town, yes, my opinion here.  Every single Sunday until I went off to college.   It was first church of our town, built in 1657.  It was burned down during the American Revolution, and then, built again.  It's a simple, yet gorgeous white church, typical of many old churches in New England.  And since we're getting married about an hour away from our home town, it's out of the question.

In that brief period of naive newly engaged bliss, everything is possible.  But when I hung up the phone with the church, I was warned not to be nervous about the price.  Okay, thank you very much.  I know you meant that to be kind and reassuring, but now I'm nervous.  Is this going to be something we can't afford?  Should I brace myself for a large, four digit number to appear in the brochure?  Because, that's what I'm doing.  If you don't ask, you'll never know, right?

This is not a comment on the church, any church, to be honest.  But in this short time, I've been slapped across the face by reality.  Everything is expensive!  Everyone has costs to cover!  Even the church. So I don't fault them for this at all.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed, and praying (yes praying, I mean, this is a church we're talking about here) that everything will work out in the end.

I just wish that brochure would hurry up and get here already!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh - this drives me crazy. I won't get on my soapbox but I HATE that when a couple wants to get married in a church that 1 of them have been going to their whole life - it costs crazy $$$.

    I've got to the same church my whole life too. I grew up down the street. My Dad's on parish council... it's still costing us over $1,000. to get married there. Yeeeesh!

    ReplyDelete