Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"My Colors are Blush and Bashful"





No, pink is not my signature color.  It's Shelby's and she can have it.  Nothing against pink.  We've actually grown to be friends, pink and I (the color, that is).  But I came across Steel Magnolias while I was flipping through the channels the other day.  I must have seen it a dozen or so times, I must have.  Except all the other times I sat through this tear-jerker, I didn't pay attention to the wedding.  How is it possible that I never realized that Shelby had a backyard wedding?

  
Watching her wedding at this point in my life resonated with me so much more than it ever had. Truth be told, Bear and I started talking about marriage around the time that he was in the market for a house.  He had been looking for a home on a lake, and part of me hoped he would find one, for so many reasons.  Is it crazy to say that if he had found a house on a lake,  I may have pushed for a backyard wedding?

Crazy or not, I am smitten with the idea of a wedding that takes place on our own territory, if you will.  A place where I can don a beautiful dress and kick off my shoes, if I want to. We can be as formal as we want to be, because it's home.  Don't get me wrong, I love our venue.  It's everything I could want in a venue that isn't my own backyard.   And I know there are hangups for planning a celebration in your own backyard--um hello, toilets, generators, neighbors and red velvet armadillo cakes (to name a few).   



I'm still a fan of the backyard wedding. A big fan.  HUGE, even.  So thanks, Shelby.  Your (fake) wedding is officially a little bit of inspiration for our wedding.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mich

    I wonder if I could get permission to use one of your photographs. Could you email me directly I can explain aaron(at)adgmcdonald.com

    Thanks much

    ReplyDelete