Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Meet The Family: My Turn!

That's what the first meeting was like.

Ok, no it wasn't. Not even close. But when I thought of the prospect of our families having dinner together for the first time, this was the first thing that popped into my mind. Honestly, I wouldn't have been upset if my mom decided to set up a spit in the front yard. It would have been fun! Just as long as there wasn't a goat roasting on said spit, blegh. Side note: Boo offered to bring a bundt cake to humor us, but sadly he changed his mine.

My immediate family consists of eleven people. ELEVEN people. My big fat Greek-Ecuadorian family. And I didn't hesitate to invite them all to our cozy little home, to meet the Boo's family. I was a little worried that my large family would be a bit overwhelming but I brushed it aside. My family is an extension of me, so leaving anyone out was simply not an option.


So we (all) met. And we ate. We ate lots and lots of food. We introduced his family to our family's casual style of feasting. Yes, feasting! Our spread normally consists of ceviche, spanakopita (spinach pie), two kinds of meat, sarmades (stuffed grape leaves), a potato dish, a vegetable side dish, and two kinds of salad. But since this was a special occasion there were at least 5 more dishes on the table. YUM. And we drank some delicious wine, which was generously provided by my other cuz.

Despite my nerves, the night was great! I had a lot of fun with everyone there. No one got into an argument, no one had a rotten time (at least not to my knowledge, gulp).
It was a bit surreal knowing that everyone was meeting because of us. The thought of that alone was so, so humbling....Overall, we dined, we met, we had fun.

And I can't wait to do it again.


Side note: Boo's family is nothing like the family in the movie clip. At all. I love "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," and now that we're affianced, I will be referring to it repeatedly. I can relate to 'Toula Portokalos,' and honestly, I just love that movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment